Sunday, December 23, 2012

Whose original Sin?

A very brief re-reading of Genesis brings a question to my mind. Just whose 'original sin' was it? Looking at the text, I think the GOD character may have committed this first 'sin'. That's my instinctual reaction to it, and I'm going to stick with this idea.

It appears to me that this creation myth contains a 'set-up' for mankind; one the 'first couple' could not help but give-in to. So, I'm a satanist, right? I don't think so. What I'm trying to get at here is that this human condition of self-awareness is somehow inherent in us, and to label this precondition of the human mind as somehow, by default, sinful is kind of - well, evil. I think this is a sort-of 'fatal flaw' in the Abrahamic religions. Sets us up for 'failure' from the get-go. Once again, one must consider the source(s); these stories were passed down verbally from generation to generation for who knows how long, since at least the sumerians from what I've read. The various stories began to be written down and modified/translated through the ages ... by PEOPLE! Take the spirit of it to heart, but please realize literal interpretations are fraught with potential errors.

Genesis is a fascinating parable/story to me. It does offer an explanation of what separates us from all other creatures on this Earth. Look at all other life forms, they live 'in' nature. They may use a found object as a 'tool' at times, beavers make dams, birds make nests. They do, on a low level, manipulate the natural environment a bit. But, then, look at humanity. We have taken the manipulation of the natural environment to the extreme. And now, by all appearances, the natural world may be preparing to seriously 'blow-back' at humanity. How will we react?

I think this is our largest 'test' yet. One hint I will take from Christian Scripture is the tale of Jesus turning the tables of the money-changers in the temple. I strongly believe that this story holds the kernel of our liberation.  All the 'evils' of our current world can be traced straight back to love of power/wealth/status (Mammon, as I've said before). Sacrificing the good for the sake of short term profit is ruining our world. Our societies could 'take this' for a time (not without causing horrible damage and demanding sacrifice in much of the world), but now the damage being done is truly epic in scope. If this continues, mark my words, it will bring humanity down.

The answer, my friends, is blowing in the wind. A mass movement to take down the multi-national banking institutions is the logical starting point I see. How to do this is beyond me, but I feel a slow coalescing building among various groups scattered about our still lovely planet. I encourage everyone who may read this to think on these points.

Peace, Love, and Joy to ALL!

RtTBt
OmegaMan






No comments:

Post a Comment